Home > Tips > OS X Tips: How To Check Your DNS Settings

OS X Tips: How To Check Your DNS Settings

Option 1 - Locate and click the Apple icon in your upper left corner and click “System Preferences”, then “Network” and search for “DNS Server”.  If you want to modify and remove malicious entry, you can simply click the box and input the right address.  However, if you are not sure simply try release & renew as instructed below.

Preference

Option 2 - Open Terminal (~/Applications/Utilities or you can search it using spotlight)

From the terminal, type “cat /etc/resolv.conf”. This command will return your  domain and name servers.

Another command is, “scutil –-dns”. Check resolver #1, this often returns domain and name servers as well.

Release and Renew to remove malicious DNS entry

From the terminal, type the following:

sudo ifconfig en1 down
sudo ifconfig en1 up

**Note: sudo means run as root user, so it will require you to input password. Also, en1 is often interfaced to LAN and en0 to Wireless – just try and see which one will work.

Another way is to unplug your internet connnection and reconnect. This will also work (”,)

1. Cashmere
    June 10, 2009 at 11:48 am

I did this:
    From the terminal, type the following:

sudo ifconfig en1 down
    sudo ifconfig en1 up

BUT I coudn’t type in the password!
    What shell I do? And the best thing is, since I installed this maleware completedly it does now my password! Buuuh :-( Help….

• Methusela Cebrian Ferrer
      June 11, 2009 at 1:16 am

It will only ask a password if you’re not a root user. Have you checked your DNS settings ? Is there any changes after you executed that command?

Just follow either option 1 or 2 to check your DNS, and let me know if you still need help.

2. Mary Ann Boles
    October 5, 2010 at 5:42 am

I don’t know much about computers, so I don’t understand option #1 or #2 very well. Are there instructions for dummies on how to remove this? I don’t see anything listed in the Dns settings, and i don’t know the right address. And messing around in the terminal made me nervous, i don’t know if i have a password or not. Help?

3. Sarah
    May 27, 2011 at 1:13 pm

With my macbook (snow leopard) you type the password but it doesn’t should up as charcaters – just type as normal and press enter even if you dont see anything. should work

4. Curtis P
    June 22, 2011 at 4:20 am

Whenever you attempt to use a command ordinarily reserved for root using a “sudo” command, you will be queried for your password. Your keystrokes will be entered, but you will not “see” your password in plain text.
    This is for your own protection. You should also use the Terminal “secure keyboard” preference.

1. June 10, 2009 at 11:23 am