Home > Emerging Threats, Malwares, OS X > How to Remove Starfield

How to Remove Starfield

1) Kill the running process.

Using spotlight, type-in Activity Monitor and filter by searching starfieldUpdate and click Quit Process. Then, search offSyncService and click Quit Process.

If using Terminal, you may run the following command:

killall -9 offSyncService
killall -9 starfieldUpdate

2) Delete Starfield internet plugins and components.

Using Terminal, you may run the following command:

rm -rf ~/Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/WbeTools64_14.plugin
rm -rf ~/Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/fileEditTool64_15.plugin
rm -rf ~/Library/Preferences/com.starfield.update.plist
rm -rf ~/Library/Application\ Support/Mozilla/Extensions/\{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384\}/wbepaste\@starfield
rm -rf ~/Library/Application\ Support/Mozilla/Extensions/\{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384\}/zoomext\@starfield
rm -rf ~/Library/Application\ Support/Starfield/

3) It will require root password to remove the following files.

Using terminal, type in sudo su and authenticate, then continue:

rm -rf /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.starfield.backupservice.plist
rm -rf /Library/offsync
rm -rf /Applications/WBE\ Desktop\ Notifier.App
rm -rf /Applications/DesktopTools.App
rm -rf /Applications/Starfield
rm -rf /install.sh

This instruction removes all the traces of Starfield.  Stay safe!

**Note: If you find Starfield application useful, you may keep the ‘WBE Desktop Notified.App’ and ‘DesktopTools.App’.

1. BB
    January 17, 2011 at 11:40 pm

Thankyouthankyouthankyou for the guide to un-installing Starfield. What a nice public service. Your hard work is much appreciated.

2. Steve Folgheraiter
    January 19, 2011 at 5:00 pm

thanks it worked like a charm

3. Don Smith
    January 19, 2011 at 6:41 pm

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!
    Apple Tech support could not help me. Everything they told me to do was ineffective.
    I had already removed the files but I was getting respawn messages that were preventing me from being able to access the internet, etc..
    Your site was the ONLY thing that saved me from having to reinstall from my back up.
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!

Don

4. January 20, 2011 at 11:52 pm

Thank you! This worked great! I think I got this junk from GoDaddy and I’m very disappointed about that. I never clicked on anything to install “StarfieldUpdate” but my guess it that it came bundled with their software to use “Online File Folder”. Again thanks.

5. Staffo
    January 23, 2011 at 8:47 pm

I concur with all of the above. Your contribution to everyone out there who has had concerns about this are greatly appreciated

6. Lori
    January 28, 2011 at 7:02 pm

THANK YOU!!!! I finally have this awful .exe off of my laptop! I was “this close” to completely reloading my laptop!

7. ralphyg
    February 13, 2011 at 3:38 am

I’ve been searching and waiting for this solution. It was really bothersome. BIG Thank you!

8. Tony
    February 17, 2011 at 6:07 pm

I am mystified. Your instructions say “Using spotlight, type-in Activity Monitor and filter by searching starfieldUpdate and click Quit Process. Then, search offSyncService and click Quit Process.”
    I understand all the words, but there is no “Quit Process” to click on. I have already removed all files with starfield, but I am assuming there is something I am missing.

9. Tony
    February 22, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Many thanks for your assistance. This is a major problem solved. I was able to remove everything with your instructions. However, since my Mac shutdown so many times in the process, I called in an Authorized Apple technician to check everything over. I have mentioned this thread to others, including my Apple tech and a GoDaddy rep who happens to own a Mac, neither of whom was aware of the problem.

10. hartgel
    March 2, 2011 at 2:06 am

Wow… I’m not a geek – but I could follow your instructions and the uninstall worked great! Thanks so much…you provide a really great service!

11. Giovanni
    March 13, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Is it possible that Vuze has changed the name of the processes or elements, as they’re not showing up on my Mac? I followed every step carefully, but a) the processes didn’t show up, nor some of the files you mentioned, and b) the damn thing keeps reappearing! It’s driving me crazy!

Also, does Starfield Zoom still gather information even if it’s disabled on Firefox? Thanks!

• March 15, 2011 at 2:21 am

Q: Is it possible that Vuze has changed the name of the processes or elements, as they’re not showing up on my Mac?
      A: I don’t think so, but it is possible that you installed a bundle application that performs this behaviour.

Q: I followed every step carefully, but a) the processes didn’t show up, nor some of the files you mentioned,
      b) the damn thing keeps reappearing! It’s driving me crazy!

A: If that’s the case, then it’s there running, we just need to search it. I’ll send you an email.

Q: Also, does Starfield Zoom still gather information even if it’s disabled on Firefox?
      A: Yes